I post today's post in red, to memorialize and emphasize the lives lost needlessly through callous attitudes and failure of laws.
It is with heavy heart that I write today's post, having just learned that the Governor of Connecticut has signed a bill into law that will make it extraordinarily costly to transport animals into that state.
This misguided piece of legislation will have the effect of limiting the ability of rescue groups to transport animals to effect their salvation from what is euphemistically termed "euthanasia," but is, in fact, murder!
In order to prevent the mass murder of anipals of all types at the hands of so-called "shelters," these kinds of laws must not be allowed to pass. Sadly, this one has already been signed, but it is not altogether too late for the animals, as it is not scheduled to go into effect until September.
For folks in Connecticut who wish to help repeal this horribly unjust action, as well as for all peoples everywhere facing similar problems, here is a 14-step plan of action:
- Create a Face Book page about the issue.
- Post, and cross-post several times a day, to catch all time zones and people on different work schedules.
- Tweet, Digg, StumbleUpon, Blog, and whatever other options you may be able to use to spread the word, and get everyone you gather to do likewise.
- Gather like-minded folks in person where you live and organize a petition drive.
- Plan a march on the capitol building to hold a demonstration / march /rally; have plenty of signs & posters showing what happens to the poor animals otherwise.
- Button-hole legislators and show them horrible graphic photos of the fate of animals in need of rescue.
- Start a letter-writing campaign and flood the offices of the legislators, the governor, and any other persons in positions of power.
- Start an e-mail campaign, and use it for the same purposes as above.
- Distribute flyers in pet stores, at shelters and humane societies calling attention to the issue.
- Get everyone you know, and even those you don't know personally, involved. There is power in numbers.
- Start a telephone tree campaign by phone to call these people several times a week--even a few times per day.
- See if local businesses will help by donating printing of handouts.
- Send out press releases to ALL the local media outlets, both print and TV/radio. Use this to either gain an interview or write-up, or call attention to your planned demonstration.
- Look into setting up a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization so you may legally collect monetary donations to support the expenses of your cause.
In short, make a pest of yourself--the more noise and attention you can attract, especially if it is an election year--the better. Remember the human's saying: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
Important note: These same ideas can also be used to lobby for GOOD laws to help animals, as well as against bad ones!!
I wish everyone the best of luck in turning this into a true No-Kill Nation!
Best wishes to one and all.
Signed, Jigsaw Puzzle, Esq.