Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mommy is sharin' a Poem today

Hai, furriends!
   Today, we iss lettin' mom use our bloggie to post a poem she worted a long time ago, but she finks it iss still timely.  Since it iss da season fur helpin, dis poem iss about helpin shelter anipals find mew homes.

And now, heeeeerrre's mom:


BEHIND THE SHELTER WALLS
OR
THE VOICES OF CELL BLOCK ONE

I'm loveable,
                   cute,
                        sweet,
          healthy, ALIVE!
I've a heartful
                  of love
                        to give!

Don't pass me by:
          I need a chance
                       a home.

No jailbird, I,
          despite these bars:
                       my prison,
           I don't understand.

Please save me from this place-
           there's no one here
                       I really know;
           I hear cries; smell fear.

Although the people are kind,
                       I know
         I cannot stay.

Come, look in my eyes:
                      let me
                          take you away.



©May 1988 C. Elizabeth Carl
© 2009 C. Elizabeth Carl Elias

5 comments:

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

Awww, it's a good poem, but sad :(

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Today mom watched a kitty dat haf been at da shelter fur 8 months go home wif a nice couple. She's 9 years old and din't know why she was there even tho she was in da apartment when da old lady who was her mom went to da Bridge. Dey is even gonna keep her original name, Mary. Dey just lost der 17 year old cat a month ago and just could not live wifout a kitty in der life. It was a win-win and maked our mom's eyes leak.

The Creek Cats said...

That sure was a great poem! Thank you so much for sharing it wif us!

Amy & the house of cats said...

That is a good poem but it is a sad poem, because it is so true for so many cats out there.

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Everyone at Talk to the paws...love the title.
Thanks for visiting us. What a beautiful poem your mom wrote and it is oh so true.
Mom and I will visit you again.
Madi and Mom